If you’ve been following the tech world at all, you’ve probably heard of Amazon’s new product: Alexa Together. But what is it? And how can you use it to make your life easier?
In this post, we’ll answer those questions and more. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about Alexa Together!
What is Alexa Together?
Alexa Together is a subscription service offered by Amazon that connects families with aging loved ones through the use of Amazon Echo smart speakers. It’s designed to provide remote caregivers with real-time activity monitoring and alerts, along with Remote Assist functions like creating reminders, setting up streaming services, and more. Alexa Together is free for the first six months, and then costs $20 per month or $200 for a full year. It is currently only available in the US. With Alexa Together, families can have peace of mind that their loved ones are safe and secure, even when they are not close by.
What are the benefits of using Alexa Together?
1. Easily combine smart home devices and services
Alexa Together is an innovative subscription service offered by Amazon that combines smart home devices and services to help care for your loved ones from afar. With Alexa Together, users have access to 24/7 urgent response calls, a handy hub to keep track of activity, streamline communication, and detect falls. Here are the steps to use Alexa Together to combine smart home devices and services:
- First, purchase compatible Echo devices such as Echo Dots and wall-mounted fall detection devices.
- Set up the devices in the desired locations, such as in rooms where your loved one tends to spend significant amounts of time.
- Link the caregiver account to the compatible Echo devices at a deep level. Your loved one will need to grant permission to use advanced features like Remote Assist or altering the Circle of Support.
- With the Alexa Together subscription, you can use voice commands to perform tasks such as setting reminders, checking the weather, and queuing up music.
- Utilize the Remote Assist feature to help your loved one manage their shopping lists, and certain settings for their Echo devices.
- With Alexa Together, you have the freedom to build your own system that suits both your personal needs and your living environment.
2. Get more out of Alexa by connecting multiple devices
Alexa Together can help you get more out of Alexa by allowing you to build a customized system that suits your needs. Here’s how to get started:
- Invest in an Alexa-enabled speaker, tablet, or wearable. This will be used by the primary user, allowing them to keep track of alerts, ask questions, and contact emergency response agents.
- Ask the secondary user to download the Alexa Together app on their smartphone. This will allow them to receive notifications about the primary user’s activity, as well as place check-in calls and add reminders to their loved one’s system.
- Set up multiple Amazon Echo devices if desired. This will allow you to take advantage of multiple Echo functions and features, such as multi-room music, stereo pairing, home theater/cinema, playing music from multiple accounts, Bluetooth connections, synced calendars, shopping lists and to-do lists, setting timers and alarms, household profiles and multiple accounts, using multiple Echos as intercoms, and distinguishing between users.
- Create a multi-room setup within the Alexa app. This will allow you to play music across multiple Echo devices in your home. You can play music from Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, Amazon Music, or TuneIn radio on multiple Echos.
- Play music from different sources on different Echos whenever you like. This is a great way to keep the family happy and create a more personalized listening experience.
By following these steps, you can get more out of your Alexa devices with Alexa Together.
3. Increase the convenience and ease of use of your smart home
Alexa Together provides a range of features and services that can increase the convenience and ease of use of your smart home. With multi-room audio support, you can control your lights or heating via voice from any room in the house. Alexa’s smart voice controls can be accessed from outside the range of your Echo, and Alexa Together’s Remote Assist feature allows for multiple caregivers and remote access to a loved one’s Echo device settings. Additionally, Alexa Together allows for activity-based alerts so you can check in on your loved one’s wellbeing. Ultimately, Alexa Together makes it easier than ever to care for your loved ones and provides hands-free convenience with the ability to control your home from any location.
4. Streamline the setup and configuration process of multiple devices
The Amazon Echo and Echo Dot are great devices for having Alexa in multiple locations around the home. With Alexa Together, setting up and configuring multiple Echo devices is easy. Here’s a step-by-step guide to get you started:
- Download the Alexa app to your compatible device
- Enable the Alexa Together feature in the Alexa app
- Create a group of devices to which all your Echo devices belong
- Connect each Echo device to its own Wi-Fi network
- Set up each Echo device using the Alexa app
- Test each Echo device to ensure it is working properly
- Configure household profiles, calendars, shopping lists, to-do lists, and other settings
- Set up Alexa Guard for peace of mind
- Connect to a professional monitoring service if desired
- Enjoy the convenience of being able to control multiple Echo devices from a single app.
5. Gain access to more advanced detection and response capabilities
Alexa Together enables users to gain access to more advanced detection and response capabilities through setting up notifications, providing hands-free connection to a professional monitoring service, and setting up remote access to a loved one’s Echo device settings.
- Set up notifications for when your loved one has their first interaction with Alexa or connected smart home devices.
- Set up reminders, add contacts to a contact book to easily call or message, or link a music service.
- Set up remote access to a loved one’s Echo device settings.
- Connect to a professional monitoring service for hands-free access to additional detection and response capabilities.
6. Enhance the communication and interaction between your family and your smart home
Alexa Together provides an innovative platform to enhance communication and interaction between family members and their smart home. With its activity-based alerts, family members can quickly check in with their loved ones and make sure they are doing well. Alexa Together also enables video chat, so family members can see their loved ones and communicate in real-time. Additionally, the Remote Assist feature allows family members to set reminders, add contacts to a contact book, or link a music service, making it much easier to stay connected. Finally, Alexa Together allows others to be included in the family’s circle of support, so even when family members are not around to help, they can be rest assured that someone is.
7. Improve the accuracy and responsiveness of your smart home
Alexa Together can help improve the accuracy and responsiveness of your smart home by providing real-time alerts for peace of mind and by allowing for multiple caregivers to remotely access settings. With the Remote Assist feature, caregivers can set reminders, add contacts to a contact book, and link a music service. Additionally, Alexa Together customers can set up notifications each day when their loved one interacts with Alexa or connected smart home devices, which serves as a reminder to check in and provide care. Multi-room audio also allows users to control their smart home from different rooms in the house, giving them more flexibility and control.
8. Have more control over the privacy and security of your data
Using Alexa Together helps you control the privacy and security of your data by allowing you to set up notifications when your loved one has their first interaction with Alexa or connected smart home devices. You can also set reminders, add contacts to a contact book to easily call or message, or link a music service. Furthermore, Alexa Together provides multiple layers of privacy protection, such as encrypting interactions in transit to the cloud and throughout the cloud verification process and securely storing voice recordings and transcripts in Amazon’s cloud. You can review and choose to delete this information at any time, and you are only shown high-level information about your loved one in the activity feed. Additionally, you can opt to not have voice recordings saved, so Alexa can still provide alerts based on activity but the activity won’t appear in the Alexa Together feed.
9. Enjoy the benefits of new partnerships and integrations
Alexa Together is an innovative feature that helps users care for their loved ones by connecting them with additional family members to provide support. It also enables users to enjoy the benefits of new partnerships and integrations by allowing them to stay up to date with real-time updates. Alexa Together is also promised to be released in mid-2022, and it provides users with access to Amazon Prime membership benefits, as well as the ability to find the best prices on products and shop their favorite products with a single click. With Alexa Together, users also have access to the latest tech news, products, and reviews from sites like TechCrunch and Engadget, making it easier for them to stay informed.
10. Take advantage of the latest advances in Alexa together technology
Using Alexa Together technology can help you stay connected with your loved ones who need assistance or monitoring. With features like Remote Assist, you can use your phone to set reminders, manage shopping lists, and manage certain settings for their Echo devices. You can also get activity-based alerts that let you confirm your loved one’s wellbeing with a quick glance at your phone. Additionally, you can include friends and family into your loved one’s circle of support, so even if you’re not available, someone else can be. All of these features help keep you in the loop while also preserving your loved one’s independence.
What are the cons of using Alexa Together?
The cons of using Alexa Together include its reliance on a Wi-Fi connection, which could impede help getting to a loved one in the event of an outage or blackout. Additionally, the service is limited in its compatibility with other devices, so it may not be a sufficient substitute for a full medical alert system with fall detection or wearables for seniors. Finally, while the system offers privacy protections, it’s important to have a conversation with your loved one before setting up Alexa Together to ensure that they are comfortable with granting access to advanced features like Remote Assist.
Care Hub vs Alexa Together
One of the main competitors to Amazon’s Alexa Together service is the free Care Hub service. Additionally, there are a variety of other smart home devices that could provide similar features to Alexa Together, such as fall detection, activity alerts, and emergency services. These include smart assistants like Google Home, Apple HomeKit, and Samsung SmartThings, as well as other smart home devices such as home monitoring cameras and security systems.
Care Hub is Amazon’s previous service to Alexa Together and features many of the same abilities. It includes real-time alerts, remote accessibility, urgent response, and customizable settings. Remote Assist is also included, allowing caregivers to set reminders, shopping lists, and manage settings. Care Hub also offers video and voice calls and access to all of Alexa’s standard features. The Circle of Care feature is present as well, allowing multiple loved ones and caregivers to provide support. Finally, Care Hub offers a 30-day free trial period.
How to set up and use Alexa Together?
Step 1: Set up Alexa Together
Setting up Alexa Together is simple and straightforward. Here are the steps to follow for a successful setup:
- Purchase an Alexa Together subscription.
- Make sure both parties have their own Amazon accounts.
- Connect to the Alexa app and enter your own Amazon profile.
- Your loved one will receive an email to confirm the setup and activate the subscription.
- Have an Echo device and a WiFi connection ready for a better overall experience.
- Provide a mobile phone number to receive a verification code during the setup process.
- Create a profile PIN to protect your loved one’s information.
- Start using the Alexa Together features like alerts, Urgent Response, and more.
Step 2: Subscribe to Alexa Together
- Visit the Alexa Together website and click the button for Start 6-month free trial.
- Choose your payment option and click Continue. At the Checkout page, click the button for Place your order.
- Click the button for Activate Alexa Together.
- Select your Amazon profile and click Continue. Confirm your first and last name.
- Enter the first name and Amazon account email address for the other person. Click the button for Send Invitation.
- The other person needs to open the invitation email and click the button for Sign in to Amazon to View Invite.
- At the Amazon website, you or your loved one confirm their region, Amazon account name, and first and last name.
- The other person can view a video to understand how Alexa Together works and then click the Accept Invitation button.
- The other person clicks the Continue button to activate the Urgent Response feature. Alexa Together is activated.
- Open the Alexa app on your own device and create a PIN to protect your loved one’s information.
- Purchase the Echo device for your loved one and have it shipped to your address. Choose the Gift option during checkout.
Step 3: Link your Sentinare account to Alexa
Step-by-step instructions for linking a Sentinare account to Alexa:
- Ensure that you have an Alexa Together subscription set up between two Amazon accounts – the host (primary caregiver) and the care receiver (loved one).
- Ensure that there is at least one Echo device added to your loved one’s Amazon account.
- Open the Sentinare app and navigate to the Link Alexa Together page in Settings.
- Sign in to your loved one’s Amazon account in the Alexa app.
- Connect the Sentinare account to the Amazon account of the loved one through the Sentinare app.
- Power on the Echo devices and ensure that they are connected to WiFi and added to the correct Amazon account (your loved one).
- Configure the Echo devices through the Amazon Alexa app after signing into your account.
- Make sure your loved one has an Echo device registered to their account and that their Sentinare account is linked to their Amazon account.
- Ensure that the Sentinare sensors and Echo devices are linked to WiFi.
- Check that the Sentinare account is not connected to any caregiver account that is a part of the Alexa Together circle.
Step 4: Initiate account linking through the Amazon Alexa App
In order to get started with Alexa Together, you and your loved one need two separate Amazon accounts. Here are the steps to initiate account linking using the Amazon Alexa Assistant:
- Open the Alexa App on your mobile device.
- Tap the More icon and select Alexa Together.
- Tap the button for Provide Support to indicate that you’re the caregiver.
- Enter the first name and Amazon account email address for the other person and tap the button for Send Invitation.
- Your loved one will receive an email to confirm the setup. After they accept the invitation, they will need to enter their region, Amazon account name, and first and last name.
- At the next screen, they can view a video to understand how Alexa Together works and then click the Accept Invitation button.
- At the next screen for Urgent Response, the other person clicks the Continue button to activate this feature.
- Finally, you will need to create a PIN to protect your loved one’s information, so that you’re the only one who can access it. Enter a four-digit PIN to protect and tap Save. Tap Done and then confirm your new PIN.
Once all of the steps above have been completed, the accounts linked and Alexa Together has been activated.
Step 5: Set up Eco Device for a loved one
Setting up an Echo device for a loved one using Alexa Together is a simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Create an Amazon account for your loved one if they don’t already have one.
- Purchase and set up an Echo device. You can either have it shipped to the other person or have it shipped to yourself and then ship it to your loved one.
- If you set up an Echo Show, opt to have the device live stream a video of that person to your own Echo Show.
- Download the setup guide and get started with the setup process.
- Have your loved one confirm access by clicking on the link in the email they receive.
- Customize the experience in order to use Alexa Together.
- Both the loved one and caregiver will need to create and link two separate Amazon.com accounts to the same Alexa Together subscription.
- Purchase whatever device you’d like them to have and have it shipped to your address for setup.
- Log into the device using your loved one’s Amazon account, and add your loved one’s Wi-Fi info to the Echo product without actually connecting to it.
- Head to the Alexa Together page and select the Start 30-day free trial button.
- Enter payment info for the plan and choose Activate Alexa Together.
- Indicate whether you’re the caregiver or the person receiving support and enter your loved one’s name and Amazon email address to send them an Alexa Together invite.
Step 6: Familiarize yourself with commands and phrases
When setting up and using Alexa Together, there are many commands and phrases you should familiarize yourself with. From setting up the service to changing settings and interacting with your loved one, these commands will help you get the most out of your Alexa Together experience.
For setup, you’ll need to “Activate Alexa Together” and “Provide Support” for your loved one. You should also “Create a profile PIN” to protect your loved one’s information.
To enable certain features, you can “Enable alerts” to be notified of activity or inactivity, and “Create a reminder” or “View all activity” to manage your loved one’s interactions with Alexa. You can also “Set up contacts”, “Set up audio services”, “Create a shopping list”, and “Adjust voice responses”.
To contact your loved one, you can “Call”, “Message”, or “Drop in”. Alternatively, you can simply tell Alexa to “Call [name]”, “Message [name]”, or “Drop in on [name]”.
Overall, familiarizing yourself with these commands and phrases will help you get the most out of Alexa Together and have a great experience with your loved one.
Step 7: Use connected devices
Alexa Together is a service that allows two users to stay connected through a shared network of Alexa-enabled devices. To get started with Alexa Together, you’ll need a minimum of two devices: an Alexa-enabled speaker, tablet, or wearable for the primary user, and a smartphone for the secondary user. The primary user can also add additional Alexa-enabled devices for further functionality.
To use Alexa Together, the primary user will need to install the Alexa Together app on their device. Then, the secondary user will need to download the Alexa Together app on their smartphone. Once both users have the app installed, they will be able to link their devices and start using Alexa Together. The primary user will be able to ask questions, receive alerts, and contact emergency response agents, while the secondary user will be able to receive notifications about the primary user’s activity and add reminders to their system.
Step 8: Plan your smart home setup
Whether you’re setting up a smart home for the first time or looking to maximize the capabilities of your existing system, Alexa Together can be an excellent choice. With Alexa Together, you have the freedom to build your own system that suits both your personal needs and your living environment. Here’s a step-by-step guide to setting up a smart home setup with Alexa Together.
- Get the equipment. Start by purchasing the necessary equipment for your Alexa Together setup. Most likely, you’ll need at least two Echo Dots and a wall-mounted fall detection device.
- Connect your devices. Next, pair all your devices with your home’s Wi-Fi network.
- Set up the Alexa Together app. Download and install the Alexa Together app on all devices that will be included in your setup, including the Echo Dots and the fall detection device.
- Enable video chat (optional). If your home includes both you and your loved one with an Echo Show, you can enable video chat for an added layer of safety.
- Configure your setup. Once you’ve downloaded the Alexa Together app, you can begin configuring your setup. This includes settings such as alerts, Urgent Response, and more.
- Add new devices. If you want to add more devices to your Alexa Together system, you can easily do so by opening the Alexa app and tapping the devices icon in the bottom bar and then hitting the “+” button in the top right corner. Follow the setup process as you did for your first device.
With the Alexa Together app, you can easily keep track of your smart home setup and customize it for your needs. Whether you’re setting up a medical alert system, automating your home with Amazon Alexa, or creating a room-by-room guide to senior home safety, Alexa Together can help make your life easier and safer.
Step 9: Use condition statements correctly
The correct uses for condition statements with Alexa Together include setting up customized alerts, tracking general activities, adjusting Alexa’s speaking rate, and seeing more things that Alexa can do. Additionally, users can benefit from a dashboard for monitoring trends and deviations. The product is rated 4.0 stars and costs $59.
Step 10: Create a Routines Guide
Creating a Routines Guide can help set up and use Alexa Together by providing step-by-step instructions on how to set up a Routine. This guide can include instructions on how to set up a personalized Routine for an aging loved one, such as turning on all of the household’s smart lights at sunset or setting up a goodnight Routine where Alexa will turn off smart lights and play sleep sounds. The guide can also provide instructions on how to sign up for Alexa Together, how to do a six-month trial, and how to use the Circle of Support feature. Having a guide in place can make it easier for primary caregivers to set up Alexa Together for an aging loved one, providing them with peace of mind and helping ensure the person is receiving the help they need.
What fall detection features does Alexa Together Amazon offer?
Alexa Together Amazon offers a range of fall detection features, including 24/7 Urgent Response, Response to Fall Detection, Remote Assistance, Activity Feed, Support Circle, and Customized Alerts from Alexa Care Hub. Urgent Response provides hands-free, round-the-clock access to a specialized emergency helpline, while Fall Detection Response requires third-party gear from Assistive Technology Services (ATS) and Vayyar. Remote Assist allows a caregiver to remotely set up functions like setting reminders, adding contacts, making shopping lists, and connecting music and video services. Finally, Activity Feed and Customized Alerts from Alexa Care Hub track activity and alert the caregiver if their loved one is up and moving around.
How much does Alexa Together Amazon cost?
Alexa Together Amazon is an accessible, reliable, and cost-effective way to stay connected and protected. It costs $19.99 per month, or $199.99 per year, plus the cost of an Echo device if you do not already have one. You can also take advantage of a 30-day free trial and a six-month free trial with Alexa Together.
What hardware is required to use Alexa Together Amazon?
What hardware is required to use Alexa Together Amazon?To use Alexa Together Amazon, you will need a minimum of two devices: an Alexa-enabled speaker, tablet, or wearable for the primary user and a smartphone for the secondary user. The Amazon Echo Show 8 is the recommended device, as it offers the best experience when using the Drop In and video chat features. You will also need a WiFi connection, an Amazon.com account, and an Alexa Together subscription. Additionally, you will need to provide a cell phone number to obtain a verification code during the setup procedure.
What types of activity alerts does Alexa Together provide?
Alexa Together Amazon provides two types of activity alerts: custom alerts and Activity Feed alerts. Custom alerts are customizable notifications that are sent to the caregiver when the aging customer interacts with their Echo device for the first time each day, or when no activity has taken place by a certain time each day. Activity Feed alerts provide an overview of when the user has used their Echo device throughout the day, and caregivers can set up customized alerts on their loved one’s Echo device to remind them to check in, take medications, or attend appointments.
What types of caregiver features does Alexa Together offer?
Alexa Together Amazon offers a range of caregiver features to help support aging loved ones. The subscription service includes 24/7 Urgent Response, Fall Detection Response, Remote Assistance, Activity Feed, Support Circle, and Customized Alerts. Urgent Response provides hands-free access to a skilled emergency helpline while Fall Detection Response uses third-party hardware from Assistive Technology Services and Vayyar to detect falls and call Urgent Response. Remote Assistance allows a caregiver to set up features such as reminders, add contacts, make shopping lists, and connect music and video services for a loved one remotely. The Activity Feed allows caregivers to view screenshots of a loved one’s Alexa and smart home interactions. Finally, Support Circle enables up to 10 caregivers to be included in the care plan.
What tech support is available for Alexa Together?
Alexa Together provides 24/7 hands-free access to professional Urgent Response agents, so if your loved one needs help, they can call for help with Alexa. Additionally, the Remote Assist functionality allows caregivers to set up Alexa Routines for their aging loved one, giving them control over device settings, reminders, and music services. The activity feed provides a view of your loved one’s interactions, so you can make sure they’re active around the house. You can also set up alerts to be notified of your loved one’s first Alexa interaction of the day, their smart home device use, or if no activity is detected. If a compatible third-party device detects a fall, or if a button is pressed on the device, the device can send a signal to prompt Alexa to ask if they want to contact Urgent Response. Lastly, Circle of Support allows you to add up to 10 additional family members or friends to support your aging loved one.